As used in this policy, “personal information” means information that would allow a party to identify you such as, for example, your name, address or location, telephone number, or email address.
- Privacy policies and data collection and use policies should be human readable, comprehensive, and easy to locate;
- Only the minimum amount of information reasonably necessary to provide you with services should be collected and maintained, and only for so long as reasonably needed or required;
- Information you provide through our Services, or that we gather as a result of your use of our Services, should not be used for marketing or advertising purposes, nor should it be provided voluntarily (without your permission) to anyone else unless required; and
- If StreetEpistemology.com is required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, StreetEpistemology.com will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or StreetEpistemology.com is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
Personal Information StreetEpistemology.com Collects
We may collect personal information through our Services, including without limitation:
- when you provide us with your personal information such as by sending an email to us or signing up to receive updates from StreetEpistemology.com;
- when you subscribe to one of our email discussion lists;
- when you donate money to us or purchase merchandise;
- when you create a StreetEpistemology.com account
- when you provide personal information in connection with your participation in any of the forums we make available through our Services.
What StreetEpistemology.com Does with Personal Information
Emails and Newsletters. We use the personal information you provide to us when you send us emails or sign up to receive updates from StreetEpistemology.com in order to respond to your request – for example, to reply to your email or to send you communications about StreetEpistemology.com news and campaigns.
Participating in Our Community
Registered Users. When you register to obtain a user account on any of the Services (any such person, a “Registered User”), you may be asked to provide personal information to create your account and establish a password and profile. We encourage you to
use an alias or nickname if you are not comfortable providing your legal name. The name or nickname you provide in connection with your account may be used to attribute you in connection with any content you submit to any Service. We also use that personal information to establish and maintain your account, to provide you with the features
we provide Registered Users, and to email you regarding changes to this policy or other applicable policies. If you sign up to receive updates from StreetEpistemology.com when you create your account, we will use your personal information to send you communications about StreetEpistemology.com news and campaigns.
Disclosures of Personal Information
In general, it is not StreetEpistemology.com’s practice to disclose personal information to third parties. Other than providing you with attribution using your nickname in connection with your Creative Commons licensed works appearing on StreetEpistemology.com, we may share your personal information in two instances:
First, StreetEpistemology.com may share personal information with our contractors and service providers in order to maintain, enhance, or add to the functionality of the Services.
If StreetEpistemology.com is required to provide a third party with your personal information (whether by subpoena or otherwise), then provided we have collected and retained an email address for you, StreetEpistemology.com will use reasonable means to notify you promptly of that event, unless prohibited by law or StreetEpistemology.com is otherwise advised not to notify you on the advice of legal counsel.
The List of 10,000
After creating a user account, users will have the option to (1) join the List of 10,000, (2) leave the List of 10,000, and (3) indicate if (and in what format) their name should appear on the List of 10,000.
Users must be aware that the List of 10,000 is public, which means that your name could be seen by other people, and also appear on search engine results. We are not responsible for any repercussions, liabilities, etc. as a result of your name appearing on the the List of 10,000. Adding yourself to the List of 10,000 indicates your acceptance of this risk.
We also reserve the right to remove accounts and/or people from the List of 10,000 for any policy violations, using someone else's name, using a trademarked term, or an offensive alias, for example.
Security of Personal Information Collected via the Services
StreetEpistemology.com has implemented reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to and unlawful interception or processing of personal information that StreetEpistemology.com stores and controls. However, no website can fully eliminate security risks. Third parties may circumvent our security measures to unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications. We will post a reasonably prominent notice to the Websites if any such security breach occurs.
Data Usage Policy: Non Personal Browsing and Site Usage Information
Our Data Usage Policy covers how we maintain and use information about you that is collected by our Services:
Non Personal Browsing Information We Collect
When you use the Services, our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) may collect information indirectly and automatically (through, for example, the use of your “IP address”) about your activities while visiting the Websites and information about the browser you are using.
No Selling or Sharing
Reorganization or Spin-Offs
Special Note to International Users
Effective Date: 2016-07-01 (August 21st 2016). For an archive of previous StreetEpistemology.com privacy policies, see here.